Rediscovering the Mary Kay Skinvigorate Cleansing Brush ($60) in my treasure trove of beauty samples was a stroke of skincare serendipity. My complexion's been going through a rough patch—literally and figuratively—whether because of stress, too much takeout, or a severe flu followed by a nasty cold. I'd been contemplating the Clarisonic and hesitating over the cost when I uncovered the Skinvigorate.
Comparisons between the Clarisonic and the Skinvigorate are inevitable, so I'll lay them all out here:
- The Skinvigorate is $60, a fraction of the Clarisonic's $145+ retail price.
- Replacement brush heads are also less expensive at $15 for two instead of $30+ each.
- The Skinvigorate has 2 speeds, whereas the Clarisonic has 1-3 speeds depending on the model.
- The Skinvigorate is a rotating brush, while the Clarisonic uses sonic pulses to dislodge dirt, oil, and makeup.
- The Clarisonic is bulkier and has a larger brush head area.
- The Skinvigorate doesn't have a built-in timer, whereas the Clarisonic does.
While I haven't tried the Clarisonic and can't compare results, I've been very impressed with the Skinvigorate during 2.5 to 3 weeks of testing. The brush's rotating action feels soothing, massage-like, and mildly exfoliating. It cleanses better than my hands or a washcloth ever could. My skin is softer and the texture is noticeably smoother. Pores and existing blemishes are smaller; no new blemishes have cropped up.
A couple of tips if you're considering getting a Skinvigorate brush for yourself (and why not, considering the great price!). You can use this brush with any cleanser, but I suggest a gentle formula with good lather. Because I'm paranoid about bacteria, I'm also keeping the brush head as clean as possible during its recommended 3-month lifespan by using a makeup removal towelette beforehand, and removing and rinsing the brush head thoroughly afterward.
I definitely recommend the Skinvigorate. An affordable price point and surprisingly effective cleansing—what more can you ask for? It's become an indispensable part of my revamped skincare regimen, and hopefully the key to a better, smoother complexion.