Each winter I seem to find myself adding another coat, sweater, or pair of boots to my collection of cold weather staples. At the same time though, I have to admit I get a smug little thrill out of pulling out the winter clothes and realizing they look just as good as ever. That's why I tend to gravitate towards classic styles in neutral shades, punctuated by a bright cashmere sweater here or a colourful coat there. Here, my picks for what will keep you warm and transcend seasonal trends.
1. I have the J. Crew collection cashmere sweatshirt in navy and grey, and they are two of the coziest sweaters in my collection—a huge step up from the tissue-thin cashmere sweaters to be found at certain fast fashion retailers. The pastel blue and rib stitch shoulders make this one feel special.
3. Liven up winter darks with a coral peacoat. Keep the coat's proportions classic and streamlined for a staple you'll wear years from now.
4. Fair isle sweaters can be hit or miss when it comes to flattering an hourglass shape, but this cozy pattern is worth adding to one's wardrobe, if only because it instantly conjures visions of ski chalets and winter wonderlands. Try it in scarf, hat, mitten, or sock form instead.
5. Close-fitting texting gloves let you use your iPhone without sacrificing your digits to frostbite.
6. A blanket scarf seems to be the winter accessory trend of 2014. While tartan is the runaway favourite among style bloggers and Pinterest users alike, I also like a marled black-and-white knit: it's neutral enough to go with everything but still adds visual interest to an outfit.
7. Few things beat the ease and effortless of a sweater dress paired with leggings and knee-high or over-the-knee flat boots. It's like wearing your pajamas in public, but much more stylish and socially acceptable.