The key to picking out the perfect gift for the guy in your life? Choose something he wouldn't necessarily buy for himself, a treat that makes him feel warm, loved, spoiled, entertained—any or all of the above.
1. I bought this Penfield 'Pelam' leather yoke down puffer jacket ($427.24) from Nordstrom for the boy as an early Christmas present right before the most recent cold snap; he loves it so much he's worn it every day since. The leather inset and slimmer silhouette set it apart from other down puffers and fleece-lined pockets keep his hands warm in case he forgets his gloves; with a shawl-collar cardigan, it's warm enough for the coldest of Vancouver nights.
2. These wool-blend smartphone gloves ($34 from J. Crew) will keep his hands toasty while he responds to your texts. J. Crew has been having some great sales lately and right now you can get 25% off if you spend $100+ or 30% off if you spend $150+ with the code MOREGIFTS; you might want to stock up on several pairs as stocking stuffers or gifts for the men in your life!
3. I have a coworker who adores buffalo plaid anything, so this tea mug from Indigo ($20) is right up his alley.
4. The boy and I saw The Martian earlier this year and he couldn't stop raving about how much he loved the sci-fi adventure movie, so the Andy Weir novel on which the film is based ($20 from Indigo) is sure to be a hit.
5. I'm pretty sure any guy would be pleased to find this Mougin & Piquard chronovintage watch ($779) under the tree; the design is inspired by archival sketches from a watchmaker that was around from 1852 to the 1920s.
6. The boy and I get lots of use out of our Herschel Supply Co. novel weekender bag ($107.58), especially on short road trips: it's the perfect size for both our getaway essentials and helps keep things organized with multiple pockets and a separate shoe compartment. Buy him the bag as a "Here's to more vacations in 2016" gesture.
7. In case the Star Wars mania hasn't hit you, allow me to introduce you to the BB-8 app-enabled droid ($189). Gotta admit, I think I'm a tad more obsessed with BB-8 than the boy is.
8. Chances are if you get your guy this J. Crew cashmere plaid scarf ($128), you'll probably end up "borrowing" it for yourself.
9. The brown leather-inspired accents on this Fuji Instax Mini 90 ($199.95) give it a more masculine vibe than its candy-coloured cousins.
10. Forget the big, bulky speakers of yesteryear: this Marshall Acton wireless Bluetooth digital speaker ($324.95) boasts vintage-inspired good looks.
11. Pajamas ($51.50) are one of those small luxuries he probably forgets to buy for himself, but he'll appreciate it if you remember.
12. A lambswool Fair Isle number ($128) won't win any ugly Christmas sweater party contests, but it does acknowledge the spirit of the season without being OTT.
Shop the gift guide