Things I Bought That I Love highlights the (hopefully) rare, carefully considered new purchases that spark joy in this aspiring minimalist.
Most of the time, I don't go actively looking for the Perfect Summer Dress; that dress usually finds me when I least expect it, which is exactly what happened when I nabbed the LOFT stripe gathered dress (
$93.58 $60.43 on sale now) at Park Royal several weeks ago. Since then I've worn it three times, and I'm looking forward to many more warm days when I'll be reaching for this frock first thing in the morning.
As the Perfect Summer Dress, this simple little striped number ticks all of my requirements:
- A silhouette that nips in at the waist, but is loose and skims away from the body; flattering and comfy on the hottest, sweatiest of summer days.
- Respectable enough to wear to the office (i.e. knee-length with a high enough neckline), but casual enough for weekends.
- Covered shoulders so I can wear a normal bra underneath.
- Versatile enough to go with all my casual spring/summer staples: a Panama hat, cat-eye sunnies, an army jacket, colourful scarves, denim or chambray, Converse, Birkenstocks, little leather sandals, a bright crossbody bag...
- Ironing not required.
- Bonus points for being made out of the softest, stretchiest, comfiest, most forgiving jersey material.
And because it's LOFT, this dress also comes in tall and petite sizes, and there's a floral and maternity version too. The dress is so stretchy and forgiving, you might be tempted to size down, but I opted to buy mine a little looser and bigger—smart move, it turns out, because it shrinks slightly in the wash.
Shop the post