Most of us have probably had this conundrum: You look over your wardrobe, and you still love your clothes to bits, but somehow things look a little outdated. Maybe your classics are looking bland these days, your basics a little too basic. You'd love to put together an au courant outfit, but you can't justify buying more clothes or tons of new stuff.
So what do you do? One solution is to buy a few key accessories that instantly add on-trend impact to the clothes you already own. Here's my top 5 list of the accessories most likely to achieve this effect. If you really love one of these, you can buy multiple versions (I'm severely addicted to big rings), but having one of each will suffice too.
1. Oxford or jazz flats. I didn't like this look when it first became trendy because these androgynous lace-up flats resembled the jazz shoes I stopped wearing for salsa dancing, but they're beginning to grow on me. Substitute them for the ballet flats you already own and pair with straight-cut or skinny jeans and leggings. These Steven 'Jezebell' jazz shoes ($100) are a basic option that will go with almost everything.
2. Crossbody bag. There's an air of sporty insousiance about crossbody bags. They're just big enough to stow the essentials, there's no strap slipping off your shoulder, they stay put nicely, and they leave your hands free. Perfect for impulsive spring/summer adventures! While you can go with a neutral colour for this piece for maximum versatility, I'm drawn to this turquoise 'Kristen' crossbody bag ($158) from Coach. There's something so mesmerizing about that shade of robin's egg blue.
3. Cuff bracelet. Show off slim wrists, and make the most of 3/4 sleeve tops and rolled-up boyfriend blazer sleeves, with an eyecatching cuff bracelet. If you're like me and your wrists are too small to wear normal cuffs, try a wraparound cuff, or a chunky elasticized bracelet like this stud ribbed elastic bracelet ($7.80) from Forever 21.
4. Cocktail ring. The next time you're running out the door in a neutral ensemble, slip on a ring. Go on, just try it, even if you're heading to work or meeting friends for coffee. Somehow having that extra bling on your hand makes you feel more chic and stylish. H&M, Aldo, and F21 are all good sources for a cheap thrill cocktail ring such as this faux diamond waves ring ($4.80).
5. Statement bib necklace. Plain white tees, high-necked sheath dresses, tank tops, LBDs, silky shells and blouses--these are all items in your wardrobe right now that could be jazzed up with a statement bib necklace! Options are endless, but I'm partial to chiffon and floral details such as the ones in the 'Estridge' necklace ($15.98) from Spring Shoes. (I have the one in black.)
Do you ever have that "a closet full of clothes and nothing I want to wear" feeling? What are your essential accessories for spring?