Maybe it's me getting older or the winters getting harsher, but whenever this time of year rolls around, I find myself slathering on as many hydrating lotions and potions as possible. The flurry of beauty samples crossing my desk this season has led to the discovery of some new favourites which will be on heavy (i.e. daily) rotation in the coming weeks.
1. I've been keeping Fresh Seaberry Restorative Body Cream on my nighstand and applying a pea-sized dab on my hands every night. It's so rich and the loveliest shade of creamy pale yellow, and whether it's because of the omega-rich seabuckthorn oil or the other nourishing natural oils in the formula, I swear my hands are smoother, softer, and brighter in the morning.
2. This season marks my first foray into hand creams from Crabtree & Evelyn and I approve. The award-winning shea-butter-infused Avocado, Olive & Basil Ultra-Moisturising Hand Therapy is thick, non-greasy, and fast-absorbing; just a little dab will do. The bright, fresh scent with a hint of basil provides just the right reminds-me-of-summer perk-up on a dreary winter day. Plus, the painter's tube is the ideal size for and looks adorable in my work tote.
3. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatments live in my carry-around makeup bag 24/7; they're perfect for days when I crave long-lasting hydration with a hint of colour. Their newest shade Ruby (a shimmery pink that's inspired by the glittering crimson light in the depths of real rubies) gives my lips a natural-looking petal pink for days when I'm sporting a no-makeup makeup look.
4. NIVEA Creme Care Shower Cream has a rich lather and clean scent inspired by NIVEA Creme. It's a no-nonsense drugstore delight that's a pleasure to use and doesn't dry out skin.
5. I like Fresh Rose Hydrating Gel Cream so much more than their Black Tea Age-Delay Eye Concentrate. This thick, rose-scented gel is slightly cool to the touch and hydrates for hours, keeping fine lines at bay from morning to night. As with many of Fresh's products, a little goes a long way.
6. Although a regular hydrating shower gel works just fine for my needs, LUSH Dreamwash Shower Smoothie is a godsend for anyone with dry, itchy, irritated skin. The whipped-texture formula contains tons of calming ingredients like aloe vera, lavender, rose, calamine, and chamomile, plus it smells just as great as LUSH's other products.
7. For an all-over body lotion, I tend to use drugstore brands since I can go through so much of it so quickly. New Jergens Ultra Care ($6.99 at London Drugs) contains vitamins C, E, and B5, and the thick formula really lasts. I can apply it post-shower in the morning and know that by the time 10pm rolls around, my skin won't feel tight and dry.