Holt Renfrew's VP of Fashion Direction Barbara Atkin
Summer is still going strong in Vancouver, but all thoughts were of autumn as Holt Renfrew presented their Fall 2010 trend preview event last week. Fashion industry insiders, media personnel, and bloggers gathered in the personal shopping department for a quick cocktail reception before being whisked away downstairs. Once we were seated, Vice President of Fashion Direction Barbara Atkin gave an articulate presentation summarizing the top trends of this coming fall and winter:
- The Greats: A return to investment-worthy classics and the iconic heritage of famous designers.
- Wild Thing: All sorts of animal prints add visual interest to neutrals.
- Knit Picking: Knit pieces in different fabrications, gauges, textures, and patterns will keep you cozy this fall.
- Marching Orders: Military-inspired detailing and colour continue to be huge.
- Crimson All Over: Whether it's poppy, tomato, or scarlet, red in all its iterations will be the 'it' colour of the season.
- Proportions: For women, fall 2010 marks a return to modesty with elongated hemlines and fit-and-flare silhouettes (hello, ladylike dressing!). For men, cropped jackets and lots of versatile layering pieces are perfect for experimenting with and creating a cozy interesting look.
- Colours And Fabrications: Camel is "the new colour of luxury" and the colour for fall (aside from red, of course). Sooty darks and harvest/autumn-inspired colours return as perennial favourites, as do British fabrications such as tweeds, checks, and flannel. Prints--animal, floral, paisley, stripes--continue to be popular.
Outerwear and cozy knits for fall. The green military-inspired men's coat is by Burberry Prorsum.
Red is the new 'it' colour for fall. I lovelovelove the look on the far right. With the beehive 'do, oversize sunglasses, and gorgeous Lady Dior handbag, this model could easily be a modern-day Holly Golightly.
More gorgeous ensembles
A bold DvF wrap dress and an Alexander McQueen scarf styled as a cravat keep things ladylike and gentlemanly, respectively.
Planning your shopping list for fall? Here are Ms. Atkin's must-have items:
- A great coat
- Pants in an extremely slim or fuller silhouette
- Masculine shirts and feminine blouses
- Skirts with very short or very long hemlines
- Long-sleeved dresses
- Statement shoes
- Handbags: satchels, saddle bags, and small crossbody bags are all on-trend
- Pearls, pendants, and brooches
- Knit accessories: berets, headbands, scarves
- Extra long belts (you can knot and tuck the excess length)
Thanks to Holt Renfrew for a great event!