1. To all those label-loving girls who show contempt for other girls not dressed in head-to-toe labels, please stop. Stop with the catty comments, inflammatory insults, and snotty smirks. You can feel like a million bucks walking down the street with your Louis Vuitton Speedy without raining on someone else's parade. Just because your wardrobe costs more does not make you smarter, hotter, or better than a girl who shops at Target and thrifts for one-of-a-kind accessories. All it means is you spent more on what you're wearing.
2. To the fashion police--seriously, don't you have better things to do? We need more adventurous dressers in this world. Your attitudes ruin it for self-proclaimed fashion enthusiasts like myself, people who do not call themselves experts and dole out unwanted advice, and merely want to appreciate and understand fashion and see what others are doing with it. Being a fairly tame dresser myself, I admire people who push the envelope and take their layering experiments far beyond my (not particularly) wild dreams. You ruin it for me by planting the misconception that the fashionable are always evaluating, judging, and criticizing. You have no idea how many times my guy friends jokingly ask me "So is this a fashion don't? Does your expert opinion disapprove?" My response: A shrug, followed by something along the lines of "How the hell should I know? I just know what I like."
3. To the people who buy into rules like "Black and blue don't mix," please see #2 on this list. How the hell should the fashion police know? They just know what they like, and so should you. By the way, I wear blue and black together quite often, and I think it looks pretty damn good.
4. To the people who think fashion is superficial and unworthy of so much devotion, consider this: Fashion is a multi-billion dollar industry employing thousands all over the world, whether it's in textiles, production, PR, retail, publishing, etc. It's also one of the most democratic forms of self-expression. Not everyone will be gifted artistically, musically, or intellectually, but every person does have to dress him/herself in the morning.
5. To the fashion enthusiasts who do it for all the right reasons, please keep doing what you're doing. You have no idea how much your passion inspires those who dabble and those who dive in head first.